Crimson Blush blight resistant tomato – 10 seeds
Crimson Blush is Exclusive to Suttons, this blight resistant beefsteak tomato is sweeter than other beefsteak varieties. In fact, it tastes more like a cherry tomato.
This tomato variety has been bred for growing outside and is able to stand up to periods of wet weather. Expect an abundance of stunning large, crimson fruit. Harvest July-October. Height 150-200cm (59-79″); spread 40-50cm (16-20″).
Big is beautiful, well definitely if you’re a giant beefsteak tomato. This stunning crimson orb is the first truly blight resistant variety of beefsteak tomato.
Bred especially for outdoor growing, this super star of the beefsteak world can stand up to wet periods whilst still producing an amazing amount of large, sweet-tasting fruit. Harvest July-October. Height 150-200cm (59-79″); spread 40-50cm (16-20″).
- Sow March/April for greenhouse growing (or April for outdoor growing) in a propagator on a windowsill or pots or trays in a greenhouse at 18-21C using a good quality compost. Cover seeds with 6mm compost (Germination 7-14 days).
- Transplant seedlings singly into 7.5cm pots. Grow on, finally planting into large pots, or direct into a greenhouse border; or outdoors 45cm apart when the risk of frost has passed.
- Support with a cane and remove side shoots regularly.
- Feed regularly with tomato food.
- Sowing to Cropping: 17-19 weeks.
Please note: With regards to the nature of the blight resistance, plants can still show infection (up to 10-15%) of leaves, stems etc. without effecting fruit quality or yield. The plants having the resistance to be able to grow away from the attack.
This variety is unique in that it has two resistance genes to Phytopthera infestans (Late Blight), giving it full resistance to all strains of blight currently found in the UK. So if blight spores come into contact wth the plant the infection will not spread throughout the plant.
It’s been bred using natural methods and has been tested throughout the breeding process using Marker Assisted Selection (MAS).
2 in stock