Turbo onion sets – 500 grams
Turbo Spring planting onion sets.
‘Turbo’ have been hard to come by in recent years. This golden-brown skinned variety is late maturing, producing good yields of medium sized onions. The rounded bulbs have a crisp flesh and a deliciously strong flavour that is suitable for all culinary purposes.
Companion planting: Try growing onions with mint to confuse and deter onion fly.
- Ideal For Kitchen Garden
- Hardiness Hardy
- Position In Full sun
- Height Up to 45cm (17.7in)
- Spread Up to 15cm (5.9in)
- Awards RHS AGM
- 500 grams – approx 100 sets.
How to grow?.
- Plant onion sets in rows in any firm, well drained soil in full sun.
- Prepare the planting area several weeks in advance by incorporating some well rotted garden compost to improve drainage and soil fertility. Avoid planting onions on freshly manured soil.
- On particularly wet ground, try growing onion sets in raised beds.
- Plant the bulbs so that the tip of bulb is just protruding through the soil surface.
- Leave a space of 10cm (4″) between each bulb, and 30cm (12″) between each row.
Special Note: Onion sets are simply small, immature onions, which have been lifted and dried to prevent any further growth. Once planted in spring the sets grow in size and each one forms a full-sized bulb when ready to harvest.
25 in stock